Rare and special Scottish Georgian townhouse in the Schmidtville district of downtown Halifax. Constructed in 1859 by a Presbyterian named Philip Letson, 5642 Morris Street/1290 Wright Avenue is not like the other houses. Its walls are brick that is faced with cedar shingles. The foundation is hand-cut granite on the street front, fieldstone and brick on the sides. The roof beams are pegged and have no nails. The ground floor ceilings are eleven and half feet high, the second floor eight and a half, the cellar eight and a half feet and the attic seven and a half. The sunny and sheltered back yard faces south and west. Parking for three cars: two spots on original Halifax cobblestones and one inside a concrete garage. Six fireplaces, 5 of which are functional. Most of the plasterwork and trim is original. The solid wood doors and large pocket doors date from 1859. The ground floor has hardwood flooring and Saltillo tiles, the second and third floors are 19th century softwood, and the cellar has wool carpet, terracotta and acid-stained concrete. The furnace, hot water heater and cooktop are fueled by natural gas. Gurney Quartet cast iron radiators throughout, except for part of the cellar with in-floor heating. Wiring and plumbing are modern. The cellar has separate utilities, its own street entrance off Wright Ave and has been a rental unit in the recent past. The second floor Roman bath has “Sicis” Italian mosaics. The cellar has a Renaissance themed theatre/screening room. The third floor guest suite is an “Egyptian” room painted by artist Michael Lewis. For the discerning buyer.
NSAR IDX Reciprocity listings are displayed in accordance with NSAR's IDX Agreements and property information is provided under copyright© by the Nova Scotia Association of REALTORS®. The above information is from sources deemed reliable but it should not be relied upon without independent verification.